When Tenants Are Away Thieves Come Out To Play

Keeping your property secure is something an agent or landlord must consider. As we’re approaching the holiday season your tenants may be going away on their holidays, leaving your property at risk of burglary. Under the HHSRS checklist, security is just one of several hazards the tenancy should assess. Openview allows you to provide tenants with guidance on their responsibilities when it comes to security whilst tenants can instantly report damage as a result of a break in online.

We’ve put together a useful checklist you and your tenant’s can use should they go away.

Lock all windows and doors

Your tenants should ensure they lock all their windows and doors, especially if they are going away. As the agent you should check these locks at the beginning of the tenancy whilst remind tenants of their duty to keep the property locked should they go away. As well as locks, spy holes and chains should be installed in the front door.

Check side gates, sheds and garages

As well as the windows and doors, checking all the side gates, sheds and garages are locked is something a tenant must do. It’s especially important to ensure ladders and tools are not nearby for a potential burglar to use.

Keep keys out of sight

Your tenants’ should ensure all keys are out of sight. Many tenants make the mistake of hanging keys next to a porch window putting the property at greater risk.

Make your home occupied

Before the tenancy begins, install a timer your tenants can use when they are out of the property to make it look like someone is living in the property. This will automatically switch on the lights, TV and radio at night. A burglar alarm should be installed for extra security.

Ask a friend

Your tenants could ask a friend if they’d like to live in the property whilst they’re away, keeping the property secure and free from potential burglary.

Is the driveway full?

Tenants could invite a neighbour to park on their drive whilst they are away, making the property look full.

Check your insurance

Agents/Landlords may need to inform their insurance company of an unoccupied property depending on the length of the tenant’s holiday. The policy should state whether this is required.

Share Post
Share on facebook
Share on linkedin
Share on twitter
Share on skype
Share on email
Share on whatsapp
Blog Categories

Please Note

Our website isn’t compatible with this browser, please use either Chrome, Firefox or Edge.